Asparagus Roll Ups: really easy party food
Some parties lend themselves to finger food and these Asparagus Roll Ups are just perfect for those parties. You can even make them ahead of time, freeze them and cook from frozen in around 15 minutes just as they are to be eaten.
They are really really easy to make and seem to impress people in spite of this. Removing the bacon does not detract from the enjoyment of these rolls if you have vegetarians to cater for.
Asaparagus Roll Ups also known to us as
Asparagus and Red Pepper Parcels
You can use asparagus appetizer recipes like this as finger food at
garden parties, at christmas, family gatherings, you name it.... I am pretty sure they would go down well at childrens parties too as they are very colourful.
This dish as with most dishes will be much better if you can use fresh herbs, either straight out of the garden or off the window sill.
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
Makes: 60 small rolls
8 oz cream cheese
Fresh chives - chopped roughly (if available)
1 lemon, zested
8 rashers smoked bacon
20 slices thin sliced brown bread
20 stalks of asparagus, ends snapped off
2 Sweet Red Peppers
8oz butter, melted
- Snap the ends off the asparagus.
- Cut the red pepper lengthways into long thin slices.
- Grill the bacon until crispy, absorb any fat with kitchen roll, allow to cool and then chop finely or crumble.
- Place cream cheese, chives, lemon zest and bacon in a bowl and mix together.
- Cut the crusts off the bread.
- Spread the bread with the cheese mixture.
- Place a stalk of asparagus and a slice of red pepper on each slice of bread and roll up.
- Use a cocktail stick to keep them rolled up if needed.
- Brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Put the rolls in the freezer until partially frozen (around 20 minutes to half an hour).
- Remover from the freezer and cut each roll into 3 equal pieces. ( If you want to make them and useon another occasion this is the point to put them back in the freezer until you want to use them).
- Bake at 190 degrees C (375 F) for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Eat whilst still warm....
Try making these Asparagus Roll Ups with white or brown bread, or try it with a few crumbs of stilton in each parcel...
Other Asparagus Recipes that would make good party food
Inidividual Asparagus Tarts
White Asparagus with Caper Salad
Tasty Marinated Asparagus
Asparagus Recipes with Pastry
See also Christmas Recipes for ideas around Christmas and other party times
Fancy Trying One of Our Favourite Recipes?
or visit our main