Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus is a really tasty snack or a great outdoor treat
straight from the Barbeque. We'll look at a few different ways to make
them as easy and tasty as possible to put together:
The Basic Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
This photo the variation with a bit of blue cheese sprinkled on top.
There are a few variations to the recipe but they are all
pretty similar. Scroll on down for more ideas.
This recipe makes a great lunch time snack with a poached or fried egg and some crusty bread.
1 or 2 rashers of bacon to every 4 or 5 spears of asparagus
- pre-heat the oven to 200 Centigrade (180 for a fan oven like mine!)
- Snap the ends off the asparagus (save the ends for making soup and pop them in the freezer if you are feeling thrifty)
- Layout 1 or 2 side by side (I think 2 is best)rashers of bacon on a board
- Take 4 or 5 asparagus stalks and place them in a bunch on the bacon at a slight angle
to roll the bacon around the asparagus and if you get the angle right
they will cover most of the length of the asparagus stalks
- Use the cocktail sticks to secure the bacon
- Place in a shallow baking dish with a little olive oil brushed over the ends of asparagus that poke out
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes
to see how they are doing, you will probably want to leave them in for
another 5 or ten minutes or finish them off under a grill to get a nice
crispy bacon topping
Variations on the Theme
That's the basic recipe now for the variations:
- Use white asparagus if you could get your hands on some
- Spread something on the bacon for a bit of extra flavour e.g.tomotoe puree with fresh chopped herbs (highly recommended)marmalade (yes i know you think that sounds weird but have you ever tried toast and marmalade with bacon on top? you need to!)your favourite brown sauce use your imagination.....
Cooking Time: 10-15 mins
Prep Time: 5mins
Where to Buy Asparagus and what to look for
Basic Preparation of Asparagus
Equipment for Cooking Asparagus
When and How to Harvest Asparagus
- Sprinkle cheese on top after about 10 minutes,(I particularly like a bit of blue cheese on top)
- Cut the bacon in half lengthwise and twist it around a single thick asparagus spear
- Thread the rolled up parcels onto barbeque skewers and cut into two or three lengths to make kebab type rolls for the barbequeue
- Serve with fried egg (really yummy!)
- The list goes on as I think of more variations I'll come back and add to the list!......
you have a great variation or a picture of your bacon wrapped asparagus
to share please let me know via the contact page or the share a recipe
page and we'll add your ideas here.
Other recipes that might take your fancy include:
Roasted Asparagus with Bacon and Goats Cheese
Grilled Asparagus with Stilton
Fancy Trying One of Our Favourite Recipes?
or visit our main