Chicken and Asparagus
Chicken and asparagus complement each other making it easy to find recipe combinations for just about any occasion.
Chicken and Asparagus Pie Recipe
Whilst fresh is always best the Chicken and Asparagus Pie recipe is one where you could use frozen asparagus.
If you do, take the asparagus out of the freezer and place it straight
onto the pie, don't defrost it first, this way it will keep its texture
I rarely make a recipe exactly the same way twice in a row as I love to
experiment with what happens to be in the cupboard. On this occasion it
was chicken asparagus, leeks and cabbage. Here’s what I came up with.
It went down very well with our daughter and her friend to line their
stomachs before a night out!
We ate this chicken asparagus recipe with boiled potatoes peas and carrots.You could try mashed potatoes, green beans, corn on the cob.....the list is endless
4 chicken legs (any other cuts would do but leg is very tasty)
1 pack puff pastry ready rolled or ready to roll
2 oz margarine
2 oz lard
small amount of cabbage (optional its just what I had in the fridge)
White wine (or water)
Tarragon (fresh or dried)
Cooking Time: 70 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins
Ready to Eat
Instead of using specially prepared pre-roasted chicken you could use the leftovers from a Sunday roast and this would work a treat.
- Preheat oven to 160 C
- Place the chicken in an oven proof dish (ideally one that can transfer and be used on the hob as well)
- Put a little cooking oil in the dish and roast the chicken in the oven for about 30 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes
the chicken is cooling chop the asparagus spears into three lengths
each about 2 inches long, remove any tough outer leaves from the
cabbage and leek and chop both finely
- Take the chicken legs out of the pan and place on a chopping board
- Put the oven proof dish on the hob (or pour / scrape the meat juices into a pan to go on the hob)
enough flour to just soak up the meat juices scraping all the
caramelised bits off the bottom of the pan and stir well (this will be a
sort of paste consistency)
- Slowly add white wine ( or water for a plainer version) stirring continuously until you have a thick creamy gravy
- Add the chopped cabbage and leek with a sprinking of fresh or dried tarragon and leave to simmer on very low
a sharp knife cut the chicken off the bone leaving it in fairly large
chunks and add to the gravy mixture then remove from the heat
make the pastry, I used a home made short crust pastry to line the dish
and a shop bought ready rolled flaky pastry, feel free to try out any
variations you like. I often make pies with a wholemeal pastry or add
some rolled oats to the pastry but didn’t on this occasion
make short crust pastry take 8oz plain flour, add 2oz margarine and 2oz
lard cut into small chunks. Rub the fat into the flour very lightly
using your fingertips. Add a little salt and then slowly add cold water a
tablespoonful at a time bringing the mixture together with a knife and
then your fingers until you have a dryish dough. Do not knead it just
pull it together gently.
- Roll out the pastry dough into a circle the shape of your pie dish and line the dish
- Roll out the flaky pastry (unless like mine it is ready rolled)
the chicken mixture in the pastry lined dish and lay the asparagus
pieces in a single layer over the top of the mixture. You don’t need to
submerge them in the gravey they will cook nicely in the steam at the
top of the pie.
- Place the flaky pastry lid on the pie using a
little water to join the two pastries. Use your fingers or thumbs to
from a seal around the edge. Make a couple of air holes in the top with a
- Glaze the top of the pie with some beaten egg and
pop in the oven for about 30 -40 minutes. You can turn the heat down and
leave it on a lower heat for a while once cooked throughif the rest of
your meal isn’t quite ready.
You may like some of these other recipes using chicken and asparagus along with various other ingredients:Asparagus Rolls
Fancy Trying One of Our Favourite Recipes?
or visit our main