Asparagus with Cheese Sauce
We enjoy asparagus with cheese sauce as a light lunch in spring. While
the weather is still getting over winter but as soon as asparagus hits
the shelves this makes a warming snack combined with the taste of
spring. Once the salad crops get into swing in the garden we switch
over to salad but until then this recipe hits the spot.
It also makes a great appetizer with prawns.
Our Asparagus with Cheese Sauce
favourite cheese with this recipe to adjust the overall flavour. There
are so many fantastic cheeses to try you could be experimenting with
different versions of this recipe for years to come!
The recipe is very simple and its
quite quick to make be sure not to end up with lumpy suace by adding the milk slowly and beating in well over a low heat.
25g Butter or margarine
25g plain flour
pinch of salt
pepper to taste
- Snap the ends off the asparagus and discard (or use for soup), grill
or steam the asparagus by your favourite method while you prepare the
- Place the butter or margarine in a small saucepan and melt over a low heat
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon to form a paste
- Slowly and carefully add ¼ of the milk slowly incorporating it into the paste without allowing lumps to form
to a low heat and continue to add the remainder of the milk again
ensuring that it is fully mixed in without lumps forming
- Add the grated or crumbled cheese and keep stirring until the sauce thickens and the cheese has melted
- Place the asparagus on plates and pour a small quantity of cheese over each serving of asparagus
Enjoy while hot with crusty bread or rolls.
Some variations include:
an extra cheesey addition you could place the asparagus on a heat proof
plate, sprinkle some grated cheese over the sauce and grill until the
cheese bubbles up nice and crispy on top
- Add a few anchovies or capers for a bit of a punch
sliced tomatoes with fresh finely chopped herbs, brush with olive oil
and grill. Add the tomatoes as a side dish with the asparagus and cheese
Cooking Time: 10mins
Prep Time: 5mins
Where to Buy Asparagus and what to look for
Basic Preparation of Asparagus
Equipment for Cooking Asparagus
When and How to Harvest Asparagus
If you have enjoyed this recipe you might also be interested in:Grilled Asparagus with Stilton
Fancy Trying One of Our Favourite Recipes?
or visit our main